Sooo… if you know anything nicer that an oven fresh bread roll with butter let me know. Oh ok, a glass of perfectly chilled white wine on the deck of a yacht in the South of France may come to my mind ( for an obvious reason) but fresh bread rolls come quite high on the list as they are just so so good! Sometimes when we have soup for lunch or dinner we make our own. Those days I make an extra portion of porridge in the morning as porridge rolls are the best! I use four grain porridge for these ( the recipe is from a Finnish porridge package actually) but you could just as well make these from oatmeal. These are our favourite rolls and I hope you like them too.
4 dl ready made porridge ( I think about 1 cup flakes & 2 cups water would make it?)
1 packet of dried yeast ( 11g)
1 tsp salt
1 tbls maple syrup
12-14 dl flour ( you can use what you prefer, if you use gluten free oats for the porridge and gluten free flour for this then you get gluten free rolls as you can imagine)
3 dl water
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer mix together the porridge, salt , syrup & luke warm water.
2. Mix the dried yeast to a few dl of the flour and add to the mixer.
3. Add the rest of the flour while mixing, the less flour the softer rolls, but they must have enough for you to be able to roll them.
4. Mix in the butter and let stand in a warm place without draft covered with a clean kitchen towel for about 30 mins. until risen to double it´s size.
5. Knead the dough and cut in to similar sized portions. Roll in to rolls and let rise on the baking sheet for another 30 mins. covered again.
6. Make a mixture of water and some maple syrup and brush the rolls. Add some seeds or oats as decorations and bake in a 250°c oven for 12-15 min.
Serve warm from the oven with butter and prepare to be in heaven for a few bites. It´s the little things!